Newmont Mining Corporation is looking for a detail-oriented, self-motivated, and dynamic team player to occupy the vacant position below;
Job Position: SUPPLY CHAIN REGIONAL DIRECTOR – GHANA
Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
About this role
Per the Minerals Commission regulations on Local content, this role is reserved for Ghanaians
What will you be responsible for?
The Regional Director Supply Chain, Africa reports directly to the Sr. Vice President, Supply Chain. Supply Chain is a centrally led organization.
- To strategically direct, operate and improve the Supply Chain (SC) function in Africa within Newmont’s global SC strategy, policies and guidelines and to drive shared goals and objectives globally across the entire Supply Chain in the Region.
- To instruct and coordinate the full life of mine supply chain requirements (Exploration, Capital development, production and closure) sourcing and procurement, capital projects, transport and logistics, warehouse and inventory control, procure to pay, contracts, investment recovery, warranty and repair, SC systems and business processes, and supplier risk management – all to be integrated with global / regional goals and policies in accordance with the key requirements of stakeholders within the region and globally.
- To provide functional leadership to the Regional SC function, including administering, coaching and mentoring the SC team to guarantee the implementation of the SC strategy, policies, procedures and delivering value adding SC services, advice and coaching to the respective business functions.
- Guide the development of the Supply Chain Budget for Opex and Capex and Head count.
- Facilitate the execution of supply risk management process within all operations in the region.
- To influence and develop cross functional strategy with regional leadership team.
- To communicate the SC vision and build strong working relationships with internal client executives.
- To collaborate with counterparts at other “best in breed” companies operating in the region, sharing best practice on common challenges, SC tools and processes.
- To liaise and build relationships with peers across regions to drive critical knowledge exchange and best practices.
- Actively demonstrate the Newmont values of Safety, Integrity, Sustainability, Inclusion and responsibility at all times.
In this role you will
Here is a snapshot of what your day to day will look like:
- Develop/approve the regional policy related to all SC functions and verify that it is consistent with global policies and procedures
- Instruct & lead all SC functional areas, including the targets, metrics, key performance indicators, service levels and savings targets for the region
- Secure supply of critical / strategic commodities and value creation for Newmont through a strategic sourcing approach
- Approve annual targets set for Strategic Sourcing, Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) savings and other savings initiatives
- Administer risk of contracting strategies with suppliers / service providers / contractors
- Ensure sourcing and procurement needs of Operations are delivered in a cost-effective manner, in compliance with global / regional goals and in accordance with Newmont values
- Operate the function’s budgeting process and administer budgets by forecasting costs and monitoring expenditure to ensure cost control
Health and Safety
- Lead on all Safety issues, ensuring that all SC employees and directly led contractors actively move through the Safety Journey
- Maintain and guarantee a healthy environment, safe operations practices, compliance with all applicable Health and Safety policies
- Encourage a culture that focuses on safety
- Eliminate fatalities by implementing critical controls and verification processes
- Reduce health exposures by implementing critical controls
- Improve the quality of SPE investigations and application of lessons learned
- Support transportation and Logistics standard in the region
- Develop SC capability by embracing global standards, leading-edge technology and world-class management practices
- Standardize, simplify and speed-up functional processes, eliminate duplication / bureaucracy
- Develop and apply functional best practices, promote sharing of best practices / knowledge
- Drive and implement functional excellence initiatives
- Be responsible for and monitor functional activities at operations
- Establish functional / cross-functional forums to assure functional alignment
- Efficiently operate matrix reporting
- Identify and operate critical functional risks through appropriate mitigation plans / actions
- Develop control and risk management systems that anticipate problems and put actions in place to mitigate such risks so that major problems are avoided
- Create and drive a culture of continuous improvement and change agility
- Develop performance-driven and diverse SC teams and contractors by providing technical knowledge and leadership
- Inspire teams that are productive and that works collaboratively to achieve the SC function and Region’s business plans and objectives.
- Conduct workforce planning and develop staffing and localization plans
- Validate that the SC teams’ roles, activities and assignments are clarified, performance objectives are set and administered, and performance reviews are conducted in accordance with policies and procedures and corrective actions taken where needed
- Develop a pipeline of dedicated and performance-driven leaders, to continuously expand the capability to improve SC services
- Validate that a succession plan is in place and implemented for the leaders and all the other critical jobs
- Verify that gender diversity targets are met and exceeded
The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
Your training, skills & experience checklist
Here is what we would need to see from you!
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Supply Chain, Accounting or related field required plus formal registration with an appropriate professional body / association plus a MBA or equivalent qualification.
- Internationally recognized professional qualification in Supply Chain Management preferred such as CIPS (UK) or IACCM (USA).
- Substantial knowledge of gold mining or broader hard rock mining with an extensive understanding of operations and projects.
- Substantial knowledge of the market dynamics related to the gold mining industry.
- Broad business knowledge and focus, ability to recognize issues, problems and capitalize on opportunities.
- Sound knowledge of global economic, social, competitive and political trends.
- Between 12 – 15 years’ experience in SC in international mining environments or other related sectors with 7-10 years of senior supply chain leadership experience with multi-functional, broad-based SC responsibilities, which should ideally include multi-site operations.
- Validated successes in attracting and retaining a high-performing and diversified leadership team, creating a teamwork environment built on coaching, development and accountability for achieving results.
Skills and Abilities:
- Business acumen and commercial management skills.
- Business continuity management skills.
- Business planning and organizing skills.
- Conflict and change management skills.
- Financial analysis and management skills.
- Negotiation, networking and service management skills.
- Performance-driven management skills.
- Strategic decision-making, problem-solving and thinking skills.
- Strategic management, leadership, coaching and mentoring skills.
- Strategic relationship management skills.
- Strategic collaboration, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Supply Chain Management.
- Highly robust, ethical standards.
- Analytical thinking.
- Confident, influential and persuasive.
- Credibility and integrity.
- Diversity management.
- Environmental scan.
- Results oriented and pro-active.
- Innovative and inspirational.
- Persistent and resilient.
- Results and quality driven / focused.
- Safety conscious.
Working conditions & location
Where you will be located!
- The position is located at the Regional office in Accra and will regularly travel nationally to the mine sites with some international travel to the Denver Head Office.
- Extended and unexpected hours is the norm.
Location: Accra, GA, GH (Ghana)
HOW TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION
Qualified candidates should submit their CVs and application letters on the company’s website: Click Here To Begin Application Online
For More Jobs and Scholarship Opportunities CLICK HERE
Closing Date: Jan 6th. 2022