IPA’s Social Protection Program works with governments and other programs working to move households out of extreme poverty by creating economic opportunities for the poor. The Social Protection Program has a growing body of research on identifying and scaling effective social protection programs, including cash transfers and cash plus programs, graduation programs, job training, and youth employment programs.
We have a large and growing body of work focused on resilience and food security activities supported by USAID’s Bureau for Humanitarian Assistance, with multifaceted programs implemented by leading international NGOs designed to improve income and food security for the poor, as well as an important multi-country evaluation of adaptive social protection programming in the Sahel with the World Bank and national safety net programs.
We are seeking a Program Director to lead the work of the Social Protection Program into its next phase: building on and growing a strong body of evidence to help bring effective programs to scale.
The Program Director will lead on strategic planning, development of policy-relevant projects, and building a team to work across IPA offices to carry out large-scale research projects and share findings with key decision-makers. Working with academic advisors, implementers, and policymakers, the Program Director will identify priority evidence gaps in the sector, and coordinate with research teams (including principal investigators at research universities and multilateral institutions), program staff, and IPA country programs to develop projects addressing those evidence gaps in collaboration with project partners. The Program Director will represent the Social Protection Program internally and externally and share evidence with governments, NGOs, and funders at events.
- Expand the work of the Social Protection Program into strategic policy areas including safety net design and youth employment
- Lead new project development efforts, including engagement with potential partner organizations, in collaboration with Principal Investigators and IPA Country Offices. Raise funds for new projects
- Grow and maintain the Program’s network of researchers, partners, and funders
- Keep abreast of academic literature in social protection and produce high-quality evidence summaries
- Work with team members to produce research and policy outputs relevant to communicate IPA’s work in this space, including articles, reports, website content (project summaries, etc.), and print materials
- Plan and carry out dissemination events, and present results to policy makers
- Oversee grant reporting and manage budgets and donor relationships
- Advanced degree in Economics, Public Policy, social sciences, or a related field
- At least seven years of relevant work experience (three minimum with a Ph.D.) in research and evaluation and/or policy design and implementation in social protection
- Familiarity with quantitative research, impact evaluations and randomized trials, as well as expertise in one or more areas of social protection, including cash transfers, safety nets, graduation and livelihood development programs, and employment programs
- Strategic thinker with strong vision for how to develop and leverage key partnerships to position IPA as a major voice in the sector
- Excellent communication, client management, and presentation skills
- Demonstrated ability to raise funds; experience in proposal writing essential
- Demonstrated project management skills, including budgeting, and ability to manage a team
- Ability to manage high-level relationships with partner organizations, donors, and government officials
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently
- French or Spanish proficiency a plus