ABSA invites applications from qualified persons to occupy the position of Head DCM and IB Business Development Manager
With over 100 years of rich history and strongly positioned as a local bank with regional and international expertise, a career with our family offers the opportunity to be part of this exciting growth journey, to reset our future and shape our destiny as a proudly African group.
My Career Development Portal: Wherever you are in your career, we are here for you. Design your future. Discover leading-edge guidance, tools and support to unlock your potential. You are Absa. You are a possibility.
Responsible for originating debt capital markets and broader IBD transactions in collaboration with Client Coverage and Product partners in the UK, ARO and South Africa. This role is to ensure that Absa has a seamless integrated Investment Banking product offering for its clients in Ghana, with a primary focus on DCM and Public Sector.
Deal Origination – Time split 40%
- Identify and source IBD opportunities in Ghana. The primary key focus is on the driving of the origination of significant event driven mandated fee revenues deals across the IBD suite of products including:
- M&A advisory
- Capital market raisings across debt and equity including equity derivatives, structured equity
- Bank debt raising
- Risk solutions
- Arrange, prepare for and present at client meetings with key government officials (Ministry of Finance, Treasury Department, Ministry of Budget, Public Debt Department etc) and senior management in banks and corporates (CEO, CFO, Treasurer)
- Co-ordinate with Client Coverage teams to engage with Ghanaian clients to establish their debt financing needs.
- Work directly with these clients to structure, present and negotiate debt solutions to meet their requirements. Actively market these solutions to clients’ key decision makers.
- Collaborate with the IBD teams in the UK, South Africa and other group presence countries to ensure consistent and co-ordinated product origination, structuring and execution.
- Co-ordinate with the Syndicate team to structure, price and arrange transactions for distribution (in bi-lateral, capital markets or derivative format).
- Advise clients on a wide range of capital structure decisions and financing alternatives. Work together with the Johannesburg-based team in providing rating advisory services to clients to order to facilitate access to both onshore and offshore debt capital markets, and other financing/balance sheet optimisation opportunities.
- Prepare innovative and thought-leading content, leveraging Research, Syndicate and Sales.
- Develop strategic initiatives for the area as agreed with the Head of WA IBD.
- Drive the implementation of strategic initiatives, managing resources within and outside Global Finance across multiple jurisdictions.
- Work with Investment Banking team to develop financing solutions for Ghanaian clients undertaking large scale local or cross-border M&A, capital raising or financing transactions.
- Continuously evaluate the external environment and assess the impact on origination activity.
- Lead the decisions with regards to the area’s product development and engage with other stakeholders across the firm to create synergies and leverage off other distribution channels with the aim of increasing profitability.
- Co-ordinate with internal and external counsel to negotiate legal documents with clients and ensure these comply with market standards, reflect the commercial credit approved terms of the transaction and appropriately address risk areas identified.
- Read and apply compliance policies and procedures and work with the compliance team to ensure these are adhered to.
- Report on market conditions, market deal activity, origination activity, mandated pipeline, and executed transactions.
- Together with Syndicate and Sales, engaging regularly with the fixed income investors community locally (pension funds, hedge funds, insurance, banks and private banks) to understand investor appetite.
- Work very closely with Syndicate to position Absa’s offering and market transactions to these investors.
- Identifying cross-selling opportunities such as hedging solutions (cross currency swaps, interest rate swaps, hedging commodities)
Stakeholder Engagement – Time split 20%
- Proactively develop relationships with key external stakeholders including local regulators relevant to the business, global product heads, key suppliers and external regulatory bodies to ensure Absa gets appropriate co-operation when required and that the Group meets and is seen to meet regulatory compliance.
- Build and develop relationships across the firm with various stakeholders with the intention of breaking down silos to maximise business growth.
- Develop relationships and advise clients on a wide range of investment banking event driven transactions
- Develop relationships with existing and potential clients
- Coordinate closely with Sector and Regional Coverage and IBD & CIB products to ensure seamless delivery of the firm to clients
Strategy and Planning – Time split 20%
- Work in a collaborative, cross-functional team environment to build IBD business and resultant revenues, as well as to be involved in the execution deal teams for originated mandates
- Actively develop commercial strategies to pursue and win new business opportunities that result in significant revenue growth with target clients aligned with CIB’s global strategy
- Provide business value selling at the top levels of client organizations, raising the profile of Absa’s capabilities within key client organizations, to identify and shape clients’ needs for IBD services
- Develop and maintain a strategy to ensure that industry and sector understanding is relevant, current, and able to be imparted to client and IBD generally
- Assist in executing the business plan for the various IBD product areas including development of strategies, client segmentation, marketing plans, and execution criteria
- Assist in ensuring that all proper documentation is completed, consistent global investment banking standards
- Develop strategic initiatives as agreed with the Head of WA Investment Banking
- Monitor the effectiveness of all strategic initiatives to ensure delivery thereof
Risk Management – Time split 20%
- Act as key sponsor for the area’s Risk Management Control Framework.
- Lead new product approval initiatives.
- Review audit scopes defined by managers in the team and Absa Internal Audit or Management Assurance prior to audits commencing.
- Complete required compliance training and attestations.
- Review and approve Risk and Control Assessments (RCA’s) prepared in the function.
- Complete attestations to testify to the adequacy of controls on request.
- Oversee the development of Key Risk Scenarios. Actively work to minimise the amount of economic capital that must be set aside for operational risk.
- Drive a culture of proactive compliance.
Bachelor’s Degree: Business, Commerce and Management Studies (Required)
How To Apply For This Job
Interested persons should apply through the company’s website: CLICK HER TO APPLY ONLINE
Deadline: 26th August 2022