Chirano is located in southwestern Ghana, approximately 100 kilometres southwest of Kumasi, Ghana’s second-largest city. The mine is within the Bibiani gold belt and consists of 11 deposits. Open pit and underground ore are processed at the Chirano plant. The capacity of the mill is approximately 3.5 million tonnes per annum. Processing involves crushing, ball mill grinding, leaching, and CIL.
Job Position: Senior Drill & Blast Engineer (Underground)
Reporting to the Chief Mine Planning Engineer, the role will focus on developing and implementing strategic drill & blast functions to maximize operational efficiencies.
Evaluate and propose drill & blast solutions in achieving planned objectives and perform QAQC checks in stopes for continuous improvement and optimize ore extraction.
- Coordinate with internal resources (mine planning, geology, production, drill supervisor and blasting services provider) to schedule and execute drilling activities in a safe and efficient manner.
- Coordinate work with the Underground operations team to achieve objectives. Liaise with Shift boss, mine captains, Underground managers, and Operations engineers in executing his/her functions.
- Provide drill and blast engineering services, including blast hole pattern, charging and initiation designs.
- Perform QAQC checks in stopes to ensure correct production drilling setup for Solo & ITH Drill Rigs.
- Conduct fragmentation analysis to see how drill parameters are being translated.
- Sign off on drill and blast designs before blasting, track cost and blast improvement parameters.
- Ensure Drilling and Blasting operations are carried out in a cost-effective manner.
- Develop and implement business improvement ideas to optimize the Drill and Blast processes at Underground.
- Conduct advanced evaluation and trend assessments of drill & blast activities and report results at daily/weekly production meetings.
- Update the drill and blast register on daily basis.
- Contribute to the business capability to mine safety by actively identifying risks and threats to achieving targets and developing, establishing and managing programs to ensure those risks are minimized or eliminated.
- Monitor blast variations and emissions to ensure compliance with drill and blast regulations and guidelines.
- Perform other duties as assigned by your Supervisor/ Manager
Education, Work Experience & Key Competencies
- First degree in Mining Engineering or related field of study
- Minimum of eight (8) years’ working in an underground mining environment preferably in Mine Planning & Drill& Blast Operations.
- Holder of Blasting Certificate of Competency issued by the Inspectorate Division of the Minerals Commission of Ghana.
- Demonstrated ability to lead a team and conduct risk assessments.
- Track record of implementing continuous improvement projects.
- Proficient with Mine Planning Software (preferably Datamine and Surpac) and knowledge of MS Office Suites.
- Must have knowledge and understanding of the Duty of Care Standards, Occupational Health & Safety Regulations 2012 L.I. 2182, and Mining Inspection Act & Regulations.
- Must have thorough understanding of underground mining operations, and solid safety performance at the personal and professional level.
- Understanding of Mining Health & Safety Procedures.
- Must possess a valid Ghanaian Driver’s License with good and defensive driving skills
Kinross is a Canadian-based gold mining company with mines and projects in Canada, the United States, Brazil, Chile, Russia, Ghana and Mauritania, employing approximately 9,300 people worldwide. Our core purpose is to lead the world in generating value through responsible mining.
How To Apply For This Job
Submit your CV and Application on Company Website: Click Here To Apply Online
Closing Date: 24th August. 2022