The Food and Agriculture Organization is looking for a detail-oriented, self-motivated, and dynamic team player to occupy the vacant position below;
Position: Senior Gender Expert
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) contributes to the achievement of the 2030 Agenda through FAO’s Strategic Framework 2022-31 by supporting the transformation to More efficient, inclusive, resilient and sustainable agri-food systems, for Better production, Better nutrition, a Better environment and a Better life, leaving no one behind.
The Regional Office for Africa (RAF) leads FAO’s response to regional priorities for food security, agriculture and rural development through the identification, planning and implementation of FAO’s priority activities in the region. It ensures a multidisciplinary approach to programmes, identifies priority areas of action for the Organization in the region and, in collaboration with offices, centres and divisions at Headquarters, develops, promotes and oversees FAO’s strategic response to regional priorities.
In its programme delivery, RAF contributes to the achievements of the 2030 Sustainable Development Agenda, supports FAO’s work in Member countries, develops and maintains strategic partnerships with continental organizations, and supports countries to develop strategies, policies, regulatory frameworks regional and country policy dialogues that sustain efficient and inclusive agricultural and food systems.
RAF also facilities partnerships with a broad range of stakeholders, supports capacity development and resource mobilization for food security, agriculture and rural development in the region.
The Regional Office for Africa puts gender equality and women’s empowerment at the centre of its programme and is committed to “achieving equality between women and men in sustainable agriculture and rural development for the elimination of hunger and poverty” in alignment with regional priorities and the FAO corporate Policy on Gender Equality 2020-2030.
The gender team in RAF works collaboratively with all regional programmes, and provides technical assistance to subregional and country offices in the region. It coordinates a network of over 56 gender focal points and alternates and supports the regional implementation and monitoring of the FAO Gender Equality Policy. It also develops and leads specific programmes in alignment with key regional priority themes.
The Senior Gender Expert reports to the Regional Programme Leader.
Lead and coordinate FAO’s work on gender equality and women’s empowerment in the region and lead gender mainstreaming and capacity development efforts.
Tasks And Responsibilities
- Undertake policy analysis and analytical work on effective ways to address gender inequalities and promote women’s empowerment in agriculture, food security and nutrition, and rural development;
- Provide technical support to governments in the formulation and implementation of gender-responsive agriculture, rural development, food security and nutrition, climate change and resilience policies and programmes;
- Support FAO’s Member States in the implementation of their gender commitments enshrined in regional agreements, global framework and international conventions;
- Lead/participate in field missions and provide technical support to FAO country offices in the planning and implementation of the gender-related activities in the region;
- Collaborate and provide technical support to FAO country offices and relevant partners on issues related to gender equality and women’s empowerment;
- Ensure that all policies and programmes supporting FAO’s Gender Equality Policy are implemented at regional, subregional and country level; and provide technical support and guidance to FAO country Gender Focal Points, in the implementation of their work plans and gender activities;
- Ensure the delivery of the regional capacity development programme and other capacity development activities;
- Coordinate gender work and partnership development in key priority areas, including trade, markets, value chain and agri-entrepreneurship development; sustainable small-scale fisheries; gender-responsive resilience and disaster risk reduction; climate action.
- Perform any other related duties, as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- University degree in gender studies, social sciences, rural sociology, agriculture economics, social anthropology, rural development, or other relevant disciplines;
- At least 10 years of relevant experience in analyzing and integrating gender dimensions into policy and programme formulation and implementation, particularly in the context of agriculture, rural development, food security and nutrition;
- Working knowledge (level C) of English and limited knowledge (level B) of French. For PSA, working knowledge of English is required.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience with international organizations and in technical cooperation projects supporting countries.
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable.
- Extent and relevance of analytical and professional experience related to policy support and gender policy analysis, including knowledge of policy-related capacity development, policy dialogue approaches and policy support tools;
- Extent and relevance in conducting socio-economic research, analyze sex disaggregated data and statistics, and apply findings to strengthen agricultural and rural development, food security and nutrition, and poverty reduction including resilience and social protection policies and programmes;
- Extent and relevance of knowledge and experience in gender equality, mainstreaming and gender-transformative approaches;
- Demonstrated ability to mobilize resources and scale up investments in the areas of gender and inclusion;
- Experience working with or in the Africa continent is an asset.
For More Jobs and Scholarship Opportunities CLICK HERE