Absa Bank invites job applications from eligible and qualified individuals to occupy the position of Business & Governance Officer
With over 100 years of rich history and strongly positioned as a local bank with regional and international expertise, a career with our family offers the opportunity to be part of this exciting growth journey, to reset our future and shape our destiny as a proudly African group.
My Career Development Portal: Wherever you are in your career, we are here for you. Design your future. Discover leading-edge guidance, tools and support to unlock your potential. You are Absa. You are possibility.
- Reporting to the Head, Markets, the Business Manager has the responsibility of providing focus in business direction through planning and driving financial performance, business management, performance management and elaborate MI processes of the Markets business. The role holder is also the principal point of contact with other business functions and External Auditors on performance related matters and projects. This also involves keeping an eye on industry evolution, competitive dynamics and the identification of opportunities that Absa can seize in the marketplace.
- This requires the role holder to have regular contact with Country Finance teams and other business and support functions to proactively set and agree performance drivers. Tracking, monitoring, analyzing and reviewing progress against targets and making recommendations to the Head of Markets and the wider team members. The role holder is therefore expected to have a broad knowledge of the Markets products and financial planning, and a believer in budget and performance discipline.
- The Role holder also manages all Governance and Compliance issues. Also acts as a liaison with Compliance Department on compliance and regulatory issues, Audit Department on Audit Issues and Operational Risk and Management Assurance on Risk Issues
Enabling Decision making/Strategy Formulation and implementation
Time Split %: 45
- Drives strategy formulation and delivery through formal qualitative and quantitative analytics, problem framing, value chain assessments and market opportunity identification.
- Support Head of Markets in the delivery of aligned business strategy that takes account of financial performance, Function health [5Cs], balance sheet & risk management and attainment of required goals and objectives.
- Evaluate, interpret, distribute and redistribute where necessary relevant information being brought to the Head of Markets & Treasurer attention to ensure that the Head’s time is not taken up by operational issues.
- Take personal accountability for resolving issues lodged directly with the Head of Markets & Treasurer
- Advise the Head of Markets on on-going issues and programmes to address these in the business unit and set up a process for monitoring
- Continuously monitor the overall Business Performance (Finance, Risk, Compliance, Change, HR) of the business unit and advise the Head of Market of any possible deviations and the actions that have been created by the business units to address these
- Conduct ongoing assessments of market and competitive landscape e.g. mergers, top competitors, identification of clear water/white space opportunities and seizing them to determine suitability for the business to venture in.
- In the event of major issues in the business unit, act as crisis coordinator and allocate tasks to the crisis teams
- Continuously monitor the potential impact of new tactical plans on the reputation risk of the department and the Bank and advise Head of Markets on appropriate action to take to minimise the risk
- Specific responsibility for Strategic Planning and Financial Analysis of Specific Projects
- Develop and drive key strategic activities in the Head of Market’s office ensuring overall fit with business strategy in context of overall Africa Markets strategy.
- Deliver insightful recommendations in a persuasive and thoughtful manner.
- Support Head of Markets to achieve Customer service standards/experience and building Absa Market profile/reputation within the country and sub-region whilst maintaining strong business relationships in and outside Absa.
Research and Market intelligence
Time split : 30%
- Work with MI team on market intelligence gathering tools or forums to ensure that at any one time we have information on technology changes, mergers and acquisition, business capabilities of various competitor banks and any other human intelligence that will aid strategy formulation and implementation.
- Carry out research and analysis on a stand-alone basis or as part of other product or functional teams to provide intelligent information for decision making.
- Be a key source for industry intelligence data across various disciplines including industry evolution analysis and competitive dynamics.
- Ability to take business analytics data and drive this to a logical and relevant conclusion e.g. business proposition with minimal supervision.
- Work with the various strategy work-streams of the bank, especially in relation to the Markets business, to measure and improve strategic initiatives as well as make same available to the direct reports of the Head of Markets.
Time Split : 15%
- Prepare the key themes, presentations and reviews for the Head of Markets & Treasurer and assist with detailed content when required
- Evaluate all material and communication prior to it being reviewed by the Head of Markets ensuring that context, analysis and the views of the respective areas are collated, filtered and summarised in a concise manner
- Working with the Operating Model Leads and finance, ensure reporting requirements to Absa Markets, ALCO, Africa and Absa Executive teams are met on time and to the highest quality
Risk Monitoring and Reporting
Time split : 30%
- Co-ordinate periodic snap and quality assurance checks, risk events management, pre-audit preparation, remediation and closure of post audit queries, review of monitoring and control reports.
- Deliver appropriate and regular conformance reviews and monitoring services according to the CPA Methodology/CIB Markets & Treasury Blue Book/Best Practices and Other Policies.
- Ensure that all Relevant Operational Licenses are renewed before due date.
- Ensure that staff in CIB Markets are conversant with Absa Policies on governance e.g. Compliance & Markets Code of Conduct, Complaints Handling etc.
- Attend and participate in process mapping reviews, operational risk assessments of P.O.T Committee.
- Review staff re-imbursement claims and expenditure claims within delegated discretion as determined by HoM from time-to-time
- Ensure all Compliance Reports are circulated and signed off by CIB Markets & Treasury staff
- Handle the Complaints management process in the Department.
- Cost control – Monthly control and account review/reconciliation
Accountability: Administrative Support
Time split %:35
- Managing Flights and accommodation for CIB Markets & Treasury visitors from Absa & others
- Arranging Meetings
- Records Management Champion (Reports)
- Create and maintain records and filing systems, which may include confidential/sensitive information
- Control and manage diary, reminding Head of CIB Markets & Treasurer of future commitments/matters requiring attention.
- Leave management. Manage leave of the entire team to ensure compliance with policy
- Any other duties that will be assigned from time to time
Further Education and Training Certificate (FETC): Business, Commerce and Management Studies (Required)
How To Apply For This Job
Qualified individuals should submit their CVs and Applications via the Company’s Website: Click Here To Apply Online
Closing Date: 28th October, 2022